|:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:/.:.:.:.:.:./.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:./|   '. :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.l.ヽ:.:.:.:.l:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:∧\:.:.:.',
          |:.:.:.:.:.:.:./.:.:.:.:.:./.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: , ′   l :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:| ∨.:.:.l:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.∧ \:.'.
          |:.:.:.:.:.:/.:.:.:.:.: /.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. ヽ/ /    |:.:.:.:.:.:.:./:.:.|   y'.:.:|:.:.:.:.|:.:.:.:.:.:.∧   ヘ.
          |:.:.:.:./.:.:.:.//.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:/ \,′   !:.:.:.:.:.:/|:.:./,/ '.:.:| :.:.:.|:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.|
          |:.:.:/.:.:./.:./.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:./   /` ‐-‐'|:.:.:./ |ァ'´    |:.:| :.:.:.|:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.|
          |:.:.i.:.:./.:.:.: '.:.:.:.:.:.:.:/   ,/       |:.:.:/   ′    }.:.| :.:.:.|:.:.:.| :.:.:.:|
          |:.:.|:./.: rヘ|:.:.:.:.:.:/:.| 三三三三三  |:./   三三三 ハ|:.:.:.:.|:.:.:.| :.:.:.:|
          |:.:.l〃.:{  |:.:.:.:./.:.:.|             l.'         .i.:.:.i.:.:.:∧ :.:|ヽ :.:|
          |:.:./.:.:.:.\|:.:.:/.:.:.:.:|                '       |:.:.||:.:/  :.:.| '.:.:l
          |:./.:.:.:.:.:.:. !:./.:.:.:.:.:.'、            ,.ー--、    }.:.:|レ′ ∨  V
          |/.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:V '´  ̄`ヽ.、            ´`¨¨{. |_.  '.:.:.:.|
         /.:.:.:.:.:.:.:./         ヘ `    . __. -r1 |:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.|
         :.:.:.:.:.:.:, '         '. \    | _.   -┴ー──┴┐
         :.:.:.:.:./           |  \  r' |   -──────i'
    

< KONAKONA.MOE >

Fixing Jellyfin Song Playlists (They SUCK!!!)

Last Mod.: 2024-06-02 | Created On: 2024-05-09


There’s a close to zero possibly this is every going to be useful to anyone but I’ll post this anyways.

I was reorganizing my music library and it broke some of my Jellyfin music playlists, which is normal because the paths are hardcoded. It was annoying fixing it because of the way JF works, keep the fact that I was moving shit around when reading. The following will be an attempt to organize and make sense of the notes I wrote for myself.

You can skip the suffering here

I moved a folder on my musics library; it broke the Jellyfin music playlists with the music in the moved folders. I say okay let me just modify this XML file (/var/lib/jellyfin/data/playlists) with the playlists. I save, restart and nothing changes. Why? Because the fucking geniuses (thx for the work by the way, but please fix this shit and deprecate my notes) store the paths in an SQLite database (/var/lib/jellyfin/data/library.db) so the xml is basically just decoration.

What the fuck is the point, theres an open issue about this, from 4 YEARS ago. I’m not that pissed off because I know where the folder was but what the fuck. Is there a single reason for the paths to be hard coded on the SQLite db and having an XML copy?

Jellyfin can’t even convert playlists to m3u IIRC. <– Well it actually can with the use of external tools (which is still a shame I have to use external shit just to export m3u’s but okay)! https://github.com/SegiH/Emby-and-Jellyfin-Playlist-Exporter

I think I am starting to understand this Jellyfin playlist shit. So you can like manually create the xml files. But for it to appear you have to refresh the playlist thing on Jellyfin, but like its not obvious in the big card thing, no, it’s on the hamburger menu > metadata > go on playlists > triple dot refresh metadata ???

Ok tried to copy a backup of a playlist, then edit the ORIGINAL playlist, refresh metadata DID NOT WORK: The playlist was unaccessible/completely broken when clicking when I did this, even if I changed the location of the folders inside my music directory. (this is because of the SQLite DB paths): I think I’ll have to copy and edit the copy and then refresh so it creates a new playlist or else this piece of garbage will shit itself because of the paths hardcoded on the SQLite database.

How I Finally Managed to Fix it

Ok I Understand now: to edit a playlist like for example if you changed paths in your file system do this:

Also make sure to like, change the playlist name inside playlist.xml so you can know what to delete later! And then you rename the ones that remain with the GUI.

PS: Don’t even try to change the name of the folder (/var/lib/jellyfin/data/playlists/<playlist>) in the File System with the name of the folder to it’s old name because it might fuck up. Like I did cp Nightcore Nightcored then edited, refreshed the metadata and it worked, I then deleted the old (now broken) (because of the paths I changed in the library) playlist from the gui and I won’t touch the new one.


Prev:
Stop Recommending Docker for Beginners
Next:
How to Install Photoprism (Natively on Debian)